Saturday, April 11, 2015

Man in the Middle - Maurice Gibb

It's not uncommon to have a favorite, among band members of a group. So it was for me with the Bee Gees - my personal favorite was Maurice Gibb, the youngest twin to brother Robin. Maurice always said his favorite genre was Classical Music. Had he lived longer he might have had a good deal of success, writing, and producing movie soundtracks.

The song I've chosen showcases him individually. He wrote the lyrics, music and is the lead singer. He often claimed to be 'the man in the middle' of his brothers, Barry and Robin's disagreements. He had the final vote, which he said wasn't so bad.

In the video Maurice is playing a guitar, given to him by John Lennon, many years before.

 

6 comments:

  1. I think that early demise of the Gibb brothers, Andy, Maurice and Robin, is tragic. I'm glad I got to see them live a few times. When they were promoting their One album, I had a fourth row seat and it was absolutely fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had seen them live! Lucky you! Then again that makes it tougher to say goodbye, I think.

      Loved you "J" day and putting one up just for you - from them!

      Delete
  2. It's sad how early most of the Gibb brothers left us. I loved Maurice. Very underrated member.

    Fun fact: I can sing exactly like Barry Gibb, in that 'so high I got kicked in the balls' type of falsetto, and it makes for a fun karaoke night. "Stayin' Alive" always brings down the house. With that said, I really wish I had more of a voice like Maurice, or even Robin, because... well, no one's favorite Gibb is Barry. I bet Barry's favorite Gibb isn't even Barry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may not know but originally Maurice sang the high parts. There's a video showing him doing, "Nights on Broadway," singing the high notes, long before Barry found his voice.

      Maurice could sing in so many keys, it was amazing. I have links to several songs he wrote, sung lead, or accompanied with his kids... he was definitely the 'underrated Gibb.'

      You sing like Barry? I'm so privileged to know this. Too bad you're not doing A-Z. You could make 'K' which comes this Monday on getting kicked in the balls. (Did I say that out loud?)

      Delete
    2. Somehow that makes me feel better! Or not? Who knew Maurice was so damn talented? I mean, they all were, but still...

      Oh, and you don't have to kick me in the balls for the voice to activate. That's just how I talk normally. Why do you think we don't do videos or vlogs? Because one of us sounds like Mickey Mouse, that's why.

      (Not really, but that would be pretty hilarious)

      Delete
    3. Yeah, Mickey has that California thing going on too. Let's not forget his Floridian flavors either. I hear he sings Japanese and French. Somebody stop me!

      Delete